photo aboutus_zps72b4528a.jpg  photo fashion_zpsd5a79a41.jpg  photo handmade_zps6c44253c.jpg  photo recipes_zps2829987f.jpg  photo popculture_zpsc1606063.jpg  photo odds_zpsc2c2e360.jpg  photo links_zpsa73b8e77.jpg

Monday, February 27, 2012

DIY Dog Bandanas (Scarves).

Today, I got to buy new fabric!
Going to the fabric store is one of my favorite things.
Having new fabric is very motivating for me to work on some projects.


Today, I thought I would show you how to make a super simple
bandana (or scarf) for your dog (or any pet I suppose).

What you need:
-Fabric           
-Pinking Shears
       -Needle and Thread 
      (or sewing machine)


To figure out what size you need, simply measure your dog's neck.
Half of the measurement will work for the actual bandana triangle.
You will need 2 fabric strips (like an inch wide) to add the rest of the length.
I would add extra length to make sure, then cut the excess.

Cut out your triangle with your pinking shears.
You can make a triangle pattern, or "eyeball it" like I do.
Once the top and one side is cut, you can fold it over and cut to make it even.


Now you will need those "ties" I mentioned before.

I use muslin, but you can use the same fabric as your bandana if you want.
All you need to do is cut, or rip 2 strips of fabric about an inch wide.
Again, measure and make sure they are long enough to fit around your dog's
neck and be able to tie.


Sew the ties onto the corners of the triangle.

And there you have it!
Now just wrangle your dog and force him and his friends to model them.

"Please just throw the toy!"

"Brownie" modeling his striped scarf.

"Tiger" modeling her pink scarf (which her huge tongue covers).

And my dog "Bruce Springsteen", who insisted on trying to bite it off
every time he realized it was on him.

Enjoy making your cheap, simple, bandanas!
If you make one, we would love to see your pets modeling them!

-melisa

P.S. Don't forget to enter to win one of my custom handmade items here...

No comments:

Post a Comment